Light bulb moment according to the dictionary is used in reference to the sudden arrival of a realization, an inspiration, an idea, or the likes. Light bulb moment may not just be about business idea, it happens in many instances in our day to day activities (may be of lower wattage though).
This reminds me of Sir Archimedes exclamation “Eureka!” as we learnt it in JSS 3 Integrated Science. It was one of the most popular light bulb moments in the world. If we follow the story very well, we will realize that prior to the moment, Sir Archimedes has identified with the problem. If you don’t seek, you will not find, and it is also scriptural. The scientists then have been able to produce magnet with electricity, but believe that magnet too should be able to produce electricity reversely; I am talking about electromagnetism now. In the search for how to produce electricity from the magnet, Michael Faraday was carrying a lobe of the magnet in his pocket every day to remind him of the problem and how to get a solution. He did that consistently for seven (7) years before the first “light bulb moment” flashed that led to previously unimaginable civilization. Inspiration comes on issues we have been observing. The awareness of a problem is the foundation of solution.
It is not enough to be aware of the problem; we also need to personalize it. Jacob did not just see the ladder to heaven; he has been internalizing a challenge. A wrestling process always precedes an inspiration; praying, researching, information gathering, seeking advice, reading and the likes are part of the wrestling process.
More to this, we don’t just wrestle on a problem we internalize; we must allow it to mix with faith in us. This is when all our energy can be focused on the issue. I remember a time I had one issue in pulling a rotor in Chad and for two (2) nights in my sleep, I was doing the task in the right way. I got all the right procedures delivered to my mind by the Holy Spirit (unbelievers will call it super conscious mind). Create time for your mind to be refreshed. Ensure you don’t entertain worries, worry kills inspiration. Refreshing your mind involves doing a lot of unrelated relaxation activities. Play some games, reading, prayer, listen to music, meditation, devotion. At this point, there is a burst in mental energy. It is mostly at this point that the idea will drop. All you need to do is to work on the idea and get a process.
Meditation in the Word of God births connection into the spiritual that delivers unique instruction on how to go about the earthly task. What you don’t look for, you don’t get it. Conversely, you get only what you look for.
Each person needs to know what (activities, object, people), where (location) and when(time of the day, hours after, during a process etc) works for him. Abraham, Jacob and Isaac understood this principle that is why they always build altar in their Eureka point. But many of us don’t take note. If you study your eureka moments, you will be able to discover a sequence. Toilet, beach, field, mountaintops, farm footpaths are common places for villagers to experience this. Our Lord, always withdraw himself into the wilderness or mountain to pray and receive.
- I was once working on a project, and I have disassembled the customer’s machine, done with the internal maintenance I wanted to do, but I couldn’t couple everything back. I was working alongside a senior colleague who has done the task more than fifteen (15) times, while I have done the same about 4 times. We tried all we could, but nothing worked. We were losing days and a day is worth a fortune. One evening, I saw a book on my system that mentioned a measurement and immediately, the value became an inspiration that brought the idea. I have to mobilize my team back to site. We started the process again and within four (4) hours we were done. That idea now is part of the process. 182 mm is the key
- Three years ago I was to do a software installation in Lagos. The company told me when they were about booking my flight and I told them to go ahead, even when I knew I didn’t know how I will do the installation. My flight was 7:00AM the next morning and as at 2:00AM nothing was working yet. Around 3AM I got an inspiration to copy some files and use it to replace the previous ones. Boom it worked”.
- For three (3) days I was thinking of the problem at hand all of a sudden I had a thought to check the overall effect of what we agreed to do which if we had done we would be at loss. Sometimes I remind myself by taking a note of listed issue with me everywhere so I can be reminded of them and a solution can be birthed.
The scriptures below are the pedestal for getting into light bulb moment especially in tough times:
“But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.” (John 14:26 NKJV)
“But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you know all things“. (1 john 2:20 NKJV)
“I have more understanding than all my teachers, For Your testimonies are my meditation“. (Psalm 119:99 NKJV)
In conclusion, “Light bulb moment” does not come without first earnestly looking for it through listening, reading, researching, attending like-minded gatherings and meditation. For he who sweats will eat.
- Olorunsola Samuel Kayode (SamKay).
- Dada Theophilus Olusegun.
- Solomon Olalemi